Monday, June 29, 2009

Maybe this is the beginning of changes

The fight of the Newhaven firefighters was one that I followed pretty closely.
Honestly if the supeme court had ruled in favor of the city of Newhaven my loyalty to the government of this country would have ended. Oh I would have followed all the laws and paid my taxes of course but if the supreme court had not ruled against this discrimination of whites and a hispanic (I have read there were 2 hispanics in some articles) then that would have been the end of my oath as it touches onto the current government of the United States.


Of course four of the judges still went the wrong way which in my mind makes this entirely too close a call for something this important. How ANY judge can rule against these men or fail to see the discrimination here is beyond me. We have a half African President, Women in the other highest offices, a black man in charge of the GoP, the list is endless. There is no further need for these laws favoring minorities and in fact all they do is discriminate against whites forcing them to pay for "crimes" they had no part in. In fact my mostly Irish decent means my family suffered from discrimination almost as bad or worse depending on where they were at the time in America. Yet despite that I had several ancestors who offered up their lives to right the wrongs against minorities and in my own way I have sacrificed for this dream as well and it is about time we are all treated equal.
For the judges who ruled against this travisty I salute you and you have restored at least some of my faith in at least one branch of our government.

1 comment:

  1. It was a step in the right direction. The dissenters were basically saying "you had no entitlement to be promoted, so there is no case", but they know that this is a very disingenuous argument. If the races were switched, I highly doubt people like Ginsburg and Stevens would have come out the way they did.

    That's the problem of having a politicized Supreme Court. You end up with 5-4 decisions like this -- which are begging to be overturned at some future point. Luckily all the 5 are still relatively young (much to the consternation of the leftists ... even with two terms, Obama will probably not have the chance to alter the balance of power on the Court, which is a very, very good thing).

    ReplyDelete