Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dog packs

My very first post on this blog back in April was on the second amendment and the evils of gun control. One of my primary reasons against limiting gun ownership was for defense against animal packs like feral dogs.
Here is the report of an attack which killed two people in Georgia this weekend.

As our economy slides further into the negative, packs of semi-wild and feral dogs appear more and more. I have long seen the increase in stray animals as an indicator of families moving and housing foreclosures on the rise and so far this year has been one of the worst years for strays I have seen in a long time.
As a matter of fact I have a 90 pound catahoula / lab mix I think, which was just added to my family back in March after he was left standing in my driveway by someone in a brown truck and there are at least two other smaller dogs I have seen prowling around this Summer. I have three choices with stray dogs in my area, adopt them (not financially viable for more than one) watch them closely and hope they find a home, or shoot them as not even the county sheriff will come to deal with stray dogs out here unless they attack someone or create property damage.
Regardless of whether the economy starts to mend housing foreclosures are still predicted to rise for the next few years and people far too often will not be able to take their pets with them nor leave them at full animal shelters or pay for euthanasia.
In the past I have had packs of feral dogs break into my house by actually tearing through a wooden door. That was more than 20 years ago and forced me to replace my basement door with a metal one but the destructiveness and desperation of a pack of abandoned feral dogs should never be discounted.
A pair of feral dogs can produce a pack quickly and become a very dangerous nuisance. You will know a dog born feral as within just 2 generations they will lose distinctive breed markings becoming mostly brown with white tail tips and a more medium hair length. Any person alone in a secluded spot can be in danger but that danger increases as the economy slides and the numbers of hungry abandoned pets increases. Also as cities and counties make cut backs local animal control are usually the first jobs to be cut.
Believe me when I tell you, if you are confronted with a pack of dogs your going to want the best firepower money can buy and not some bolt action deer rifle. The anti-gun left tries to convince the public that limiting what they mistakenly call "Assault rifles" is logical to allow gun ownership for hunting but remove the un-needed rapid fire weapons. But hunting is not the only reason for gun ownership and a bolt action rifle isn't going to do you much good when a pack of hungry dogs comes prowling.

3 comments:

  1. ...a bolt action rifle isn't going to do you much good when a pack of hungry dogs comes prowling

    Works well as a club.

    The semi-autos are also really good against those fast moving zombies and zombie-dogs. Bolt action and pistols are still fine for slow shambling zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL prof but a club isn't going to do much to a dog anyway. You ever had to shoot a dog on any canine for that matter?

    They take some serious damage. Cats on the other kind like mountain lions are really thin skinned and can be fought off easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw,
    Closest I came to being attacked by a pack of dogs was a few years ago. Local hunter lost his pack. They almost licked me to death when I found them on my property.

    ReplyDelete