Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Women Protesting in the Sudan

I read this article today:

It's about the trial of a 43 year old Sudanese woman named Lubna Hussein. She apparently worked for the UN and was arrested in a public order raid in July on a cafe in Khartoum for wearing pants.
There were 12 other women arrested with her 10 of which who took their public lashings and fines, but Lubna and 2 others have taken it to court.

The police then tear gassed, beat and broke up a demonstration by mostly female protesters outside the court hearing earlier today.

This story makes me wonder just how impervious to feminism Islam may in fact be. Not that I share any religious beliefs in women wearing pants mind you but from what I have seen from the rise of Western Feminism its a starting point.
Watching how feminism and Islam clash over the next few decades should prove entertaining indeed.
It is also interesting to note that Lubna worked for the UN and I am guessing has had considerable Western contact. The authorities in Khartoum seem to be looking for a way to let her off but are having trouble since she has resigned to take this case to trial.
Lets see how fast the Islamic Patriarchy falls to rampant feminism. As I said the first few victories will be reasonable its the coming storm I want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment