Friday, August 14, 2009

Opinions wanted on the group called "Oathkeepers"

I have seen this group post on 1 or 2 political blog sites over the last few weeks.

It seems like an up front group but I didn't see any high ranking or I guess even marginally higher ranking military leadership retired or otherwise supporting it. Perhaps its still really new because I had never heard anything about it before the last few weeks.

Maybe I am just insulated though.

From reading the about section on their web site I cannot disagree with their premise yet having been out of the military for almost 20 years now in an active way it does make me wonder how much the current political situation is effecting the current military.

A few quotes from their web site:

There is at this time a debate within the ranks of the military regarding their oath. Some mistakenly believe they must follow any order the President issues. But you can rest assured that many others in the military do understand that their loyalty is to the Constitution, and understand what that means

Is there really a debate within the military? I haven't heard of one but again that doesn't really mean much I have few current military contacts left to get any answers from.

We are Not advocating or promoting the overthrow of any government whether local, state or national. We want our governments to return to the Constitutional Republic which the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution defined and instituted.

Thats good to know :)

So I am looking for opinions and/or information on how big this organization is and is this a topic anyone has heard about being discussed in the current military.

I don't have an opinion about this group at this time although I do agree with their sentiments I think, but the lack of any open military supporters of a field rank or higher makes me wonder if this is needed or even a hot topic within the military.
If you have an opinion or knowledge about this group please post away. I am definately interested in what others have to say about it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that they're forcing the issue into the open.

    I have been talking about the same issues for years - now I have a group of military folk I can point to as an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the founder of Oath Keepers. He is a fairly decent guy but I think he is making a mistake with Oath Keepers. It is formed under the assumption that there is a conspiracy to deny Constitutional rights to the citizens of this country. Many members of Oath Keepers are conspiracy nuts. The 10 orders they will not obey are essentially straw man arguments. That is, the list includes several thing that are not likely to happen, such as bringing foreign troops into the United States. Many of those who have joined Oath Keepers seem to be full of hate and a bit unbalanced. I am concerned that they are going to fan the flames of extremism.

    ReplyDelete